Sunday, July 18, 2010

Orientation Day

Getting Suited Up

So it begins! My first steps into Le Cordon Bleu and the gloriously sweet world of Patisserie.

Orientation was a gentle introduction into the regiments of school life: long lines to stand in, forms to fill, talks to attend, and over a hundred unfamiliar faces to get acquainted with. You would probably imagine me jumping with excitement, which wasn't the case. Strangely enough I felt underwhelmed by the entire exercise, experiencing mini episodes of muted excitement at best. 

On the agenda was collection of my chef's uniform: coat, pants, hat, scarf, apron and washcloth. I also got my boots earlier in the week: Rossi's, an Aussie favourite. But the best part has yet to come.

Knives Oh Shiny Knives

Aren't they a beaut! We all had to buy a standard toolkit that came with more weapons for Cuisine then Patisserie, quite ridiculous, if you ask me, as the knives cost a bomb. And though I acknowledge my baking skills aren't quite up to scratch yet, surely my cakes do not require a cleaver to hack through?!? 

I do love my palettes though. :p

Pastry Gear & Knife Guards

Now we're talking. Piping bags, 12 nozzles, scraper, meat thermometer (seriously??)...

Have I mentioned the knife guards come with velvet lining?

Books...Dang!

Last but least thrillingly, books. 1 recipe book for the kitchen, the other 2 for theory classes. I just can't seem to get away with not studying. 

Next week, classes commence. Wish me luck, folks!

2 comments:

  1. Im curious about the knives... =p they look too lethal to be used by chefs. U sure they are standard issue at LCB?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There,
    Just came upon your blog while doing some research, as I'll be starting at LCB in Ottawa next month. Have a few questions I wanted to ask you. Would love if I can email you.
    Can you let me know how we can connect?
    Or perhaps you can email me at noporkforme@yahoo.ca

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete